Friday, October 10, 2008

Turpentine Kisses


I was thinking about remixing 'Zero' by the Smashing Pumpkins. No joke. Melloncollie and the Infinite Sadness was my favorite album from the 90s and I've played it out three separate times. That amount of playability is rare, especially with my tastes, which swing all over the place and try to dedicate more time to weird genres. That being said, it's impossible not to notice the potential of 'Zero' as a remixable song, or some of the samples within it, and Le Castlevania has just beaten me to the punch (not that I would've followed through with making a remix given my lack of skill) and made a pretty fun song; in the beginning of the song, the sample fades out underneath a bobbing trance rhythm, until the guitar riff sample hits, and then the electro banger elements climb in to give the chorus some depth. It is guilty of 'bangerism', the preferred style that exemplifies the electro scene's identity of excess and debauchery, a source of pride but quite possibly in the future, the source of its decline. No matter, there's no other way to do this song, and together with Patrick Alavi's Nirvana cover of 'Smells Like Teen Spirit', we finally have another worthy addition to 90s grunge remixes.

Enjoi:

Le Castlevania - Zero Machine

Bonus:

Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit (Patrick Alavi Rerox)

No comments: