Sunday, December 7, 2008

Kilometers Away




Time and time again Sébastien Tellier satisfies that warm spot in our gut where beards are king. A few nights ago I set up camp at a bar called the Attic in the Mission, ordered a Nagrony, and read an article by my friend Brandon about Tellier. The idea of Tellier reaching for the "master subject" I think is apt, yet in doing so he streches himself too thin. While his albums have many gems, others, like Kilometer, require a little polishing before it's as charming as reading a Tellier interview in English. And Moulinex has the goods. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the beginning reminds me a bit of U2, the good U2 of the 80s. But then come the vocals and the song falls into a definite groove. Moulinex has fun with the clip of the moaning woman in the original Kilometer. That night I read the article I ran into Brandon and we discussed the comparison between Tellier and Serge Gainsbourg. I found this video of Gainsbourg performing in the eighties, and from a distance, it might as well just be Tellier himself sans beard.

Sébastien Tellier - Kilometre (Moulinex remix) (alt)

No comments: